Are you looking to find the “Perfect” Filipina to marry? You fell in love with their exotic beauty, conservative values, sweet nature, and loyalty that they all seem to portray? Well, first of all, nobody is perfect. They are flawed and come with baggage just like everyone else. However, (speaking from experience) there are some tips, as well as warning signs that I can share with you.
Tips To Finding The Perfect Filipina To Marry and Warning Signs to RUN!
- Don’t Fall In Love On A Dating Site Before You Have MetWhile there are many wonderful Filipinas that are truly looking for love on dating site, they are also filled with scams, men posing as women, and gold diggers just looking to try to get into the wallet of a lonely westerner. Here are some tips that you should take to heart before sending your pension check overseas to the exotic beauty that is soooooo in “love” with you…
- Be realistic! Look at yourself in the mirror. What kind of women have you had success with in your own country? If your a 65 year old man, do you really think that you have captured the heart of the 21 year old beauty queen your chatting with?
- Don’t think with the “wrong head” – You might be able to marry that beautiful Filipina that would be considered out of your league in your own country. However, will she stay with you? Are you going to bring her back to your own country where there are an unlimited amount of men who may have more to offer than you? I’m just saying that you shouldn’t set yourself up for a heartbreak. The internet is filled with horror stories of Filipina’s (and women from Thailand, China, Russia and many other countries) that marry a westerner but have their eyes set on getting that green card.. Just be smart and look out for warning signs and red flags.
- Don’t tell her how much money you have – When you meet a Filipina woman (from the Philippines), don’t broadcast your net worth. In fact, downplay any wealth that you may have. If she truly loves you, it shouldn’t matter anyway.
- Be weary of Filipina’s inquiring about your financial status – I’ve talked to Filipina’s who started asking questions about money issues within the first few minutes of conversation. Questions, that go far beyond “What do you do for a living?” Warning sign—–Run from these sorts of women.
- City girl versus province girl – Personally, I prefer a province girl. This doesn’t mean that you can’t find wonderful girls from the city. In fact, most “city girls” came from a province at one point. My wife grew up in a province in Mindanao (in a not so safe area for foreigners). She then moved to Cebu City but when I met her, fortunately she still held her small town, conservative values. She valued family, loyalty, and love more than the latest cell phone or Coach handbag. You will find that many girls from Manila, Cebu City, etc… can be very materialistic. I feel that part of this reason is that they grew up very poor and after some time living in Manila they were exposed to technology, fashion, etc… that they never had a chance to experience from while living in the province. It’s understandable that they would be drawn to that. But, I’ve noticed that too many were much too materialistic to my personal taste. They are easy to spot, and even easier to notice when your speaking to them in person.
- Learn about their family – Many people online will tell you to RUN from Filipina’s with large families that are poor. This is because there is a good chance that you will be considered the cash cow for her family. Their ATM machine… If you marry their daughter, they feel that you owe them something. Not all families are like this. Find out what their families do, if they are hard workers or just looking for a handout. There are many horror stories of families that drove perfectly good marriages to divorce. The Filipina will want to help her family, but how much is enough? Most of us can’t replace a roof on the house, pay for Uncle Joe’s cancer treatments, and Niece Nancy’s college all at the same time. I’m sure there are many exceptions, but the stories that are out there are rather shocking and enough to scare off most men or women.
- Kids or no kids? – This was almost a dividing point between me and my wife. If you marry a younger Filipina she will likely want a child. Are you ready for a child if your older? I’m 43 and have already raised a daughter who is now in college. Having more children seems rather frightening for me when I know that I’m the breadwinner of the family and the child would graduate high school in my 60’s. Make sure that you both agree whether you do or do not want children. Not just in the next year, but in the next decade! Do you really want your wife leaving you when her biological clock starts ticking when she gets into her 30’s? Maybe consider a Filipina that is more age appropriate that has a child that is already grown. You may find you have more in common and there will be less complications that could get in the way. Communication is key here.
These are just a few tips that I thought of at the spur of the moment. There are many more but I will keep this post to about 1,000 words. Many people shy away from posts that are too long 😉 Be sure to sign up to our newsletter for more tips on dating Filipinas and travel in Southeast Asia. Find out tips on how to travel light while going oveseas, 5 Must Have Item’s when going to the Philippines and many more.
Finding that perfect Filipina isn’t easy. Being suckered, scammed, and used is!! Don’t let that be YOU!!
Be sure to Like “Travel Without A Map” on Facebook for updates on our site, tips about travel, and a place to interact with fellow travelers, expats, and wanderlust addicts!