Fortune Island – A Tropical Paradise in the Philippines Awaits You
Fortune Island lies an hour off the coast of Nasugbu in Batangas, Philippines in the southern waters of Luzon. While Fortune Island may be small in size, it immense in beauty! This lonely little island in Batangas can offer you breathtaking sunrise / sunsets, powdery white beaches with turquoise blue waters that are simply amazing and soothing to the soul.
The Beauty Lies Above AND Below The Sea
As beautiful as Fortune Island is on the surface, it may be even better beneath. If you live to dive or snorkel this is the place for you. Fortune Island is a popular diving spot that has a mesmerizing sea life that reaches 100’s of meters in depth.
The Mystical Pillars
Get a taste of ancient Greece by walking along the mystical pillars.. Be sure to have your camera because there are some great shots (and memories) to be made.
The pillar structures resemble Acropolis in Greece. They are located on top of beautiful limestone cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The history isn’t quite certain but when you ask the locals you get similar versions how landmarks came to be. Locals say that Fortune Island at one time was an exclusive resort that was called “Little Paradise”. They say that the “resort” was spearheaded by Governor Jose Antonio Leviste who governed from 1972-1980.
So, why would this upscale resort close down? It was shut down in 2006 because they didn’t have a fresh local water source. Some locals say that the reason it closed down because of typhoons that caused major damage and the frequent restoration that was needed because of typhoon damage caused the resort to close down.
Fortune Island Re-Opened in 2013
A korean business man got Fortune Island going again in 2013. The beauty remains unquestioned, although you can tell that the island structures have been neglected.
How Did Fortune Island Get It’s Name?
This was one of the questions that immediately came to my mind. It was actually give in “folly” because it seemed like bad luck would always fall upon Fortune Island. There have been shipwrecks as well as typhoons. In a good hearted spirit, the local Filipinos lightheartedly decided to call it Fortune.
What Activities Can You Do On Fortune Island?
Looking for an itinerary of fun things you can do? There are many. Here are some of them :
- Ready for some exercise? Trek to the Lighthouse! This is about a 30 minute hike to the lighthouse which is the highest point on the island.
- Take Selfies at the “Greek Style Pillars” – The pillars make you feel like your in Greece and make great photo opportunities.
- Go Cliff Diving – There is a great place for those who aren’t afraid to do a cliff dive! You will jump 30 feet from a cliff into the crystal clear waters below. Are you brave enough for this?
- Go Snorkeling – I love to snorkel and this was a fantastic time for me at Fortune Island. I am amazed at an entirely different world that lives underneath the water.
- Go Diving For Free – Free is pretty cheap right? There are some great free dive spots that are quite popular. I don’t know how to dive so I don’t have any personal advice on this. For those of you who do love to dive, I think that you will be pleased from what I have heard from locals and tourists in the area.
- Walk The Beach or Swim – Do you love to relax on the beach? Fortune Island has a nice stretch of white sand beaches for you do do just that. Bring some some block!
- Go Caving – They have a bat cave on the island that you may want to check out. This wasn’t for me! Sorry! lol. I did see some pictures of formations inside the cave that were really cool.
- View a Real Shipwreck Site – This is especially cool if you like to dive.
Directions to Fortune Island
Well, If your still interested in visiting Fortune Island you will want to know how to get there right? The directions are pretty easy.. Here are some easy to follow directions :
- Commute – From the Buendia Bus Station (or Baclaran) ride a BSC or DLTB Bus headed for Nasugbu.
- Exit the bus in Nasugbu
- Get on a tricycle in Nasugbu and tell them you want to go to Fortune Island Resort.
- Pay the resort fees and charter an outrigger boat.
- How long does all of this take? Total travel time you will incur will be about 5 to 6 hours.
Do you have a car and need directions?
- Drive via Cavitex. Continue to Governors Road and then to Nasugbu Ternate Highway until you get to Nasugbu.
- Turn right to C. Alvares (be on the look out for Jollibee. C. Alvares is the street right past the fast food restaurant.)
- Continue on C. Alvares and turn right on Apacibe Blvd.
- Continue on Apacibe Blvd until you reach Fortune Island Beach Resort.
Tips For Fortune Island
- If you need to be in luxurious comfort, Fortune Island may not be right for you. There is no electricity on the Island! There also isn’t a clean water source.
- You can get a mobile data signal on the island. Keep your IG and FB updated and your phone just may work!
- You can camp on the island but there aren’t many areas that are shaded. Come early to save yourself a spot!
- Bring some trash bags. You won’t find any trash cans to dispose of your trash. Please be respectful and take a trash bag to dispose and don’t litter on the Island.
- The boat ride to Fortune Island is a bit on the rough side. Be sure that you can handle this.
- Either bring your own snorkel gear or floaties you may need. If you need help, ask for Tatay Dante, which is the caretaker of the island.
- There is parking space on Fortune Island if you are bringing your car.
Tour Packages and Budget Travel Guide
How much will everything cost?
Island Fees :
- Day tour – 300 pesos
- Overnight – 400 pesos
- Boat rental – Group of 5-10 P3000 for day tour and P4500 for overnight.
- More than 10 people – P4500 for day tour and P6000 for overnight.
Travel Budge Seekers
You can join an organized event for those going to Fortune Island and get a cheaper rate.
Do It Your Self (DIY) Travel Budget Guide
- RT Bus Fare from Manila to Nasugbu costs 300 peso
- RT Fare Tricycle – 20 Pesos
- Entrance Fee – 400 Peso
- Boat rental – P4500
- Food – P250
- Van rental – P3000 (this is an estimate and depends on where you are coming from)
The number to call Fortune Island Resort is 09155047166
Tatay Dante (resort caretaker) contact # is 09394895292One of the great things about Fortune Island is that it isn’t overly expensive. Tour packages can be had for about 1,200 php per person.
If you are looking for another hidden gem in the Philippines, I would suggest checking out the Baler, Aurora (Sabong Beach) Surf and Tourist destination.. It’s nestled away in a small province, but it’s incredibly relaxing (5 hour bus ride from Manila).