2 adventures in one! Mt. Banahaw is not only a great hiking climb, it is also an active volcano! The mountain is 80 kilometers SE from Manila. It is 2, 450 meters above sea level which makes it the largest peak in the south tagalog region. Other mountains include Mt. Masalacot, Mt. San Cristobal, and Mt. Kalbaryo.
Mysteries Surrounding Mt. Banahaw
There are many stories surrounding Mt. Banahaw. You will hear ghost stories, local lore, and religious history surrounding the sacred mountain. It is considered a holy mountain and a source of psychic energy.
So, what about ghost stories?
Well, Mt. Banahaw attracts many people interested in the mystery that surrounds the mountain. You will come across psychics, mystic healers, faith healers, religious cults, people meditating, cults and more. As a result, ghost stories and urban legends have resulted over time.
Directions / Tips On How To Get To Mt. Banahaw
There isn’t just one set of directions on how to get to Mt. Banahaw because there are multiple jump off points. Drop off points to consider are :
- Tayabas (Banahaw de Tayabas)
- Lucban (Lucban de Banahaw)
- Sariyaya (Guis-guis Trail)
- Dolores Trail <<<< probably the easiest for most
Tips and Directions to Get to Mt. Banahaw :
* Take a bus from Buendia/Gil Puyat, Taft or Edsa (Metro Manila) to Lucena or Batangas.
* Stop at San Pablo, Laguna
* Take a jeepney or trike to Dolores, Quezon
* Go to Kinabuhayan. Locals are helpful in guiding you to where the trail begins.
Things to See On Your Hike
- Cristalino Falls – 30 meter waterfall surrounded by ferns, palm trees with a pool at the bottom to quench your thirst or to cool off and take a swim.
- Suplinang Tubig Falls – 30 meter waterfall. Stand at the bottom of the waterfall and enjoy a natural water massage.
- Salamin Bubog – Small pond at the bottom gives off a reflection like a glass mirror on calm days.
- Santa Lucia Falls – “Father’s Falls” and “Mother’s Hair” are two waterfalls that you can find here. It is said that Santa Lucia Falls can heal you!
- Durungawan summit viewpoints – Enjoy mesmerizing views from the Mt. Banahaw summit!
- Tatlong Tangke and Cristalino trails – Hiking trails that range in length from 5 and 9 hours each.
- Husgado Cave – This is a very narrow cave that is about 30 meters deep.
- Milk Water River – The river has a milky color
- Blood Water River (Tubig ng Dugo) – The river has a red color because of iron oxide from the rock.
- Kamay ni Hesus – You can find Kamay ni Hesus on the Lucban side of the mountain. This is a spiritual center that has a Risen Christ statue (it is very big) and a cross.
Other things to do nearby :
Tips to Enjoy other attractions near Mt. Banahaw :
Try visiting –
- Seven Lakes of San Pablo City
- Liliw town
- Bunga Falls (Nagcarlan, Laguna)
- Taytay Falls ((Majayjay, Laguna)
Is Mt. Banahaw Open to Hike in 2017?
Note : The peak has been closed due to environmental damage. We will update this post when (and if) the peak has been opened for hiking / trekking expeditions in 2017. There are however governmental allowed areas for daytrippers to enjoy camping as well as holy week at base areas of Mt. Banahaw.