Osmeña Peak is a wonderful day hike that offers wonderful views of Badian Island, Moalboal, and Pescador Island. If your lucky and atop of Osmeña Peak on a clear day you can see the province of Negros. My party traversed Osmeña Peak which took about 5 hours. In the early morning there was a heavy fog, but fortunately it lifted as the day went on.. Also check out our other hiking / trek adventures as we climbed Mt. Maculot and Mt. Maynoba in the Luzon region of the Philippines.
Where Is Osmeña Peak?
Located in the municipality of Mantalongon. In the Philippines they refer to this region as “The Vegetable Basket” because there are cooler temperatures which make it good place for planting vegetables which are a main source of income for many Filipinos that live in the area.
The Easiest Directions to Osmeña Peak from Cebu
There are several entry points that you can follow, but from our experience the easiest way is to :
- Go to the South Bus Terminal in Cebu City
- Get on a bus for Oslob or Bato (the Bus fee / price is approximately 170 pesos. Tell the driver that you would like to be dropped off at Dalaguete junction. (2 1/2 – 3 hrs)
- From Dalaguete junction hire a motorcycle driver to take you to the wet market in Mantalongon. This part of the journey will take approximately 20 minutes.
- Make sure you have water. Pay another motorbike driver to take you to the rest of the way (only about 15 minutes more to go).
Alternative route – If you want to hike Osmena Peak and your coming from Badian by habal-habal. The price is about P500 from what we were told although we come from this direction.
Traverse from Osmena Peak to Kawasan Falls
If you really want an all day hiking adventure, consider traversing from Osmena Peak to Kawasan Falls. This is a fun hike.. Be sure to have plenty of water with you because it will take about 5 hours.. Or more, depending if you stop to rest and enjoy your surroundings.
Osmena Peak and Kawasan Hike Tips
- You can hike to the top of Osmena Peak in approximately 25-30 minutes. Hikers of all levels can do this climb (unless if you have physical limitations..) While the hike is fairly easy, it’s definitely worth the hike.
- Take sunblock because you will be exposed.. This is especially true if you traverse from Osmena Peak to Kawasan Falls (which takes 5-6 hours).
- If you arrive too early the views won’t be as majestic because it is often foggy at this time.
- Instead of being rushed for time, make a camping trip out of it. They have a camp site which carries a price of 50 pesos per person.
- If traversing to Kawasan Falls be sure that you are wearing comfortable walking / hiking shoes.
- Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- The trek from Osmena Peak to Kawasan falls is approximately 33km. This is a long hike! Be sure that you can do this. You can take a motorbike from Osmena Peak to Kawasan Falls but the fare / price will be 500-1000 php..
- The weather gets cooler as you approach the summit. Especially at night. If you will be camping be sure that you have proper clothing with you to stay warm!
- There are several spring fed water sources along the way to refill your water bottles.
- “The Death March” – This is part of the hike that wasn’t much fun at all. about 4 hours into the hike you will reach a dirt road. Your already tired at this point but you have about 2 hours of walking to go down a dusty / dirty road. I felt like I was melting from the sun. I wore a hiking hat that has a wide brim all the way around, even protecting the back of my neck.
- Don’t let the “Death March” dampen your spirits. After you trek through this dreaded stretch of road you will come across “Tanon Strait”. You will see amazing views and at this time you will know that you are only 30 minutes away from Kawasan Falls.
- Kawasan Falls in Badian, Cebu has 3 exit levels. There are motorcycle drivers that can take you back at any of the 3 exit points.
- You made it! You will be proud of yourself for accomplishing this feat.
Here is your prize if you make it to Kawasan Falls!
Conclusion : If your not a dedicated hiker, we suggest climbing to the top of Osmena Peak. This only takes 30 or so minutes and isn’t very difficult. If you want to camp and feel fit enough for the 5-6 hour traverse to Kawasan Falls be sure that you are prepared. I hope these tips have prepared you for your adventure.
We love to hike, travel, and learn new cultures. Not just in the Philippines but in many other countries around the world. Please consider Liking “Travel Without A Map” on Facebook to follow along on our adventures with us! Happy trails and be well my friends!